A photographer is one of the most expensive investments you will make for your wedding day. As tempting as it may be, this is one area you should not cut corners on. Your wedding photographs should be an accurate retelling of your day, that encompass your style and relationship. By hiring a professional, you will receive images that you are proud to look back on, as well as showcase. That being said, it only makes sense that you should want to understand how a photographer establishes their prices. Doing so will help you determine what is a reasonable price or package, and leave you feeling confident in your investment.
What is the Average Price of a Wedding Photographer?
Before you start searching for a photographer, it is a good idea to go in with an idea of the average cost. You won’t be surprised by pricing, and will be able to start narrowing down contenders based on their packages. According to Kylie, business owner and photographer at Just For Love Photography, the average cost of a photographer is between $3,000 to $4,000. Near this price point you can expect to receive quality work and a great experience. If your wedding photographs are a priority, you will find that a professional – and their price point – is worth every cent.
What is Covered in a Photographer’s Price?
Now that you know how much a photographer can cost, you need to understand why. This will help you fully grasp how a price was determined, and start comparing photographers and their packages. In most wedding photography packages, you are likely to see the following:
- Time – How many hours of work are included, often ranging from as few as four to unlimited. Any additional hours you need will cost an hourly rate.
- Editing – Post-production edits are often included, although you should discuss the type of edits they are willing or capable of performing.
- Images – A photographer may estimate how many final edited photos you will receive, however this number is rarely exact. In many cases the images are delivered via an online gallery and/or a USB drive.
- Print Release – A print release allows you to use the photographs for your own personal use.
- Equipment – A photographers equipment is expensive, as is their expertise to use it.
- Travel – Most photographers include travel up to a certain distance. Past the set perimeter you may be charged a flat rate or a price per mile.
- Second shooters – Most photographers offer the option to purchase a second shooter, whereas some packages include a second shooter.
- Additional Shoots – Photographers commonly bundle shoots in their packages, such as an engagement session.
- Albums – Some photographers include an album in their packages, or offer it as an add on.
Does Price Determine a Photographer’s Worth?
In short, no. However, the price a photographer sets is a good indicator of their experience. It is completely up to a photographer to set their prices. Meaning should they so choose, the best photographer can have surprisingly low prices. Rarely is this the case, but it is not impossible. No matter, you should always be diligent in researching and hiring a photographer. Utilize online reviews, word of mouth, and ask for relevant samples of an entire wedding. Doing so, and using your best judgement, will leave less room for regret on your part.
At Albums Remembered we believe every couples deserves to receive high quality photographs that they will be able to look back on and enjoy for a lifetime. That is why we are proud to provide artisan crafted flush mount albums that are fully customizable. You will work one-on-one with an expert graphic designer, who will assist you in finalizing the style and layout of your album.
Why choose Albums Remembered for your wedding album over your photographer? Our business is solely dedicated to providing hand crafted photo albums, whereas the typical wedding photographer offers it as an add-on. In other words, it isn’t exactly their forte. This, in combination with the additional commitment of their time necessary for image layout and revisions, means you will receive the same quality album for nearly double the price. But don’t take our word for it!
After allowing us to assist her in designing an album, Jeannette said, “I ordered the 12X12 acrylic cover album with luxe leather in navy. The album turned out beautiful and I am very pleased with my experience at Albums Remembered. Monica was easy to work with and patient with my revisions. The layout is very user friendly with making comments for revisions. The album cost a fraction of what our photographer was charging and just as good quality. I highly recommend ordering your album through albums remembered.”
More recently, Malia who wed in September had this to say: “I will only get my albums here! They respond so fast, very creative, such good quality for the price. All my family albums are being done or will be done with them. So happy I found them! It’s a great option for weddings. Save money with the photographer upfront and still get your professional albums after! No design fee it’s wonderful.”
With over 250 reviews and counting on WeddingWire, we guarantee that you will love the experience, and the quality of our product. Contact us with any questions, or start crafting the album of your dreams today!